The mind-body connection is powerful. It's also largely under-utilised. If you don't practice mind-body techniques, you may be missing out on significant holistic healing.
You know, a lot of people ask me about mind-body techniques. What are they, how do they work, etc.
So, in order to attempt to articulate it as briefly as possible, I’ll share my approach to mind-body techniques (and I’d also like to point out that in recent years, a lot of research has been carried out on the link between our emotions, feelings, thoughts and beliefs, stress, etc, and the connection to our bodies - both for physical and mental health outcomes).
It’s also really important to note that whilst I don’t advocate for mental health care over medical care, I do think they work hand in hand. If you don’t address one, you’re missing out on a lot of healing benefits. The World Health Organisation (WHO) backs me up on this ;), check out their set of principles as set out in their preamble to their Constitution:
- “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
- The enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition.
- The health of all peoples is fundamental to the attainment of peace and security and is dependent on the fullest cooperation of individuals and States.
- The achievement of any State in the promotion and protection of health is of value to all.
- Unequal development in different countries in the promotion of health and control of diseases, especially communicable disease, is a common danger.
- Healthy development of the child is of basic importance; the ability to live harmoniously in a changing total environment is essential to such development.
- The extension to all peoples of the benefits of medical, psychological and related knowledge is essential to the fullest attainment of health.
- Informed opinion and active co-operation on the part of the public are of the utmost importance in the improvement of the health of the people.
Governments have a responsibility for the health of their peoples which can be fulfilled only by the provision of adequate health and social measures.”
I think when you read this you really start to get a picture that health and healing are more than just a doctors visit. And more importantly, it CLEARLY states that social, psychological and physical environments all contribute to an individual's health.
This means (for me), that when you visit me for counselling, coaching, psychotherapy, mind-body work, etc, we’ll take into account ALL aspects of your life. We’ll work on uncovering emotional blocks, trauma, unconscious belief systems, social and environmental effect - everything.
I also approach mind-body work utilising mindfulness, neuroscience education, energy psychology (tapping, visualisation, psychotherapeutic hypnotherapy techniques), discuss the effects of yoga and other life practices that all contribute to a healthy mind and body.
Major areas of interest for me are chronic pain, migraine, chronic fatigue and chronic anxiety/depression, PTSD, phobias and chronic stress. Utilising the approaches from Dr John Sarno (TMS) as supported by Curable, and Nicole Sachs (Journal Speak), Tapping (EFT), Trauma Release Exercises (TRE), and Mind Mapping/Mindfulness approaches I help to establish root causes for blocks and causation, helping to heal and coping in a way that is dealing with deep-rooted trauma and misunderstood emotional pain that is repressed and expresses itself in the body.
This type of work can be lengthy and many emotional layers can take time, but not always. And most importantly, it’s very empowering, and once you have some techniques and understanding under your belt, you can also do this type of work privately at any time.
I’m happy to provide research, links and even group sessions if there is any interest, so please PM or email me anytime. If I get a lot of questions, I’ll do another blog post!
Also, if you're interested in finding out more about working with me, please contact me or book in a session online!
Can’t wait to hear from you!